Sunday 20 July 2014

Day 20

Overnight I had a real hankering for 'vegan medium' on toast, so today I set out to have another go at making my own vegan-gluten-free bread.  After what can only be described as a focaccia debacle a few weeks ago with a Deliciously Ella recipe, this time I headed straight to the GFVG. I went for the wholegrain gluten free crunch crust bread - again interestingly like the quiche pastry made with cashew nuts, amongst other things.  No psyllium husks this time, and just baking powder as a raising agent and no yeast.

It took 2 hours to cook!

In true gluten-free style, this bad boy is DENSE.  Brick-like in fact.
Also in true gluten-free style minus something glue-y like psyllium husks, this is what happens when you try to slice it:
Hmm.  Although I have to say it is very, very tasty.  Because of the slicing issue I decided to put off the grilled-vegan-medium-on-toast until tomorrow, and instead have some hunks of my loaf with other items prepared today for the week ahead: baba ganoush (aubergine dip) and muhammara (red pepper and walnut dip)
Baba ganoush is always good, naturally VGF,  made extra tasty with a sneaky addition of the pomegranate molasses also used in the muhammara.  The muhammara is extremely tasty too, but to make it gluten free (it usually contains breadcrumbs) I used GF 'rice crumb' which it turns out gives an exceedingly odd, rubbery and elastic texture to the whole thing.  If I have any sort of grout or bathroom sealant emergency in the next few days though it will be ok as this stuff would surely do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment